Garden Book Lists
Other sections at KassJ.com...
Garden Book Lists
Shop for used books online to get a better deal!
I buy used books from Amazon.com all the time! Go for it!
Numbered in order of preference...
- Xeriscape Colorado by David Winger & Connie Ellefson, Westcliffe Publishers, 2004
- The Xeriscape Flower Gardener by Jim Knopf, Johnson Books, 1991.
- Waterwise Landscaping by Jim Knopf, Chamisa Books, 1999.
- Xeriscape Plant Guide by Denver Water, edited by David Winger, Fulcrum Publishing, 1996.
- The Rocky Mountain Perennial Plant Guide (1995) and Rocky Mountain Plant Guide (1993), Colorado Nursery Association. (Available through most Front Range Nurseries) These two booklets are aka: The CNA Blue Book & the CNA Red Book, respectively.
- Taylor Guide to Ornamental Grasses Houghton Mifflin Co, 1997.
- Taylor's Guide to Ornamental Grasses by Taylor Guides, ISBN: 0-395-79761-6; $21.00
(An older book, but many, many plant varieties crammed into this one. As this book ages, the next book makes a good supplement to this one.)
- The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses by John Greenlee, ISBN: 0-87596-100-2
- The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses by Rick Darke, ISBN: 0-88192-464-4; $49.95
A nice 'coffee table' style book with beautiful photos, but not as detailed in information as the other two listed here. Also comes with a CD-ROM version of the book for even more money.
Organic Problem Solving & Companion Planting Tips
Avoid chemical solutions and systemics whenever possible. Don't harm kids, wildlife, pets or Mother Earth. Also, don't kill "good" bugs (like ladybugs). Good bugs are our friends.
Both of these books offer the sorts of tips commonly found in The Old Farmer's Almanac and passed down generation to generation. They both have pest control tips for home & garden. Did you know that Epsom Salts is good at repelling slugs AND it also makes an excellent tomato fertilizer! These books and the next two listed are both good with many, many tips.
- Dead Snails Leave No Trails by Loren Nancarrow and Janet Hogan Taylor, ISBN: 0-89815-852-4; $11.95
- Slug Bread & Beheaded Thistles by Ellen Sandbeck, ISBN: 0-7679-0542-3; $10.95
I also like these two books for pest control tips, but they also have many, many more general gardening tips than "just" info on pest control. The Garden Secrets book is produced by the editors of Birds & Blooms magazine. It is a compilation of reader tips.
- 1,112 Down-to-Earth Garden Secrets by Country Books; ISBN: 0-89821-233-2
- Giant Book of Garden Solutions by Jerry Baker, ISBN: 0-922433-51-8
- Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte, ISBN: 1580170277
Keep your hi-liter and sticky-note bookmarks handy when reading any of these fun books.
© Copyright 2004 v.9.10.04
designer & writer Garden Art & Design
Colorado Springs, CO 719/635-1306 (vc)
www.kassj.com/gardens gardens at kassj dot com